Sound Healing Certificate and Therapy Program
Individual Class Details
ONLINE – Individual Classes on Weekdays are $30. Weekend Classes are $40
INSTITUTE – IN-PERSON in Sausalito – All classes are $40
Sound Healing and Therapy Overview
Sound Healing and Therapy Overview
Learning Goals and Objectives
- Understand how sound physically travels through the air.
- Learn many techniques for finding your home note and others.
- Ability to find the resonate frequency of a space by toning.
- Understand how the Just Intonation and Pythagorean Tuning systems are created, and learn how important it is to use natural tuning systems based on the harmonics in nature in the music you use or create.
- Understand what Binaural Beats are, and to create and use Binaural Beats to entrain the brain into different brainwave states – gamma, alpha, theta, and delta.
- Learn the various brainwave states.
- Learn how effective a consistent intention is. Ability to consistently hold your intention in a healing session.
- Learn a wide range of techniques including sound, color and geometry for bringing someone into a relaxed state of being. This is often the first step in the healing process.
- Learn how to do a frequency sweep (aloud or silently) to find the frequency of higher vibrations such as love, joy, gratitude, and spirit.
- Learn the wide range of differences between healing sounds and music.
- Learn the basics of the studies of Alfred Tomatis and how this information is being used to help with learning disabilities.
- Learn how to use a Sound Table in your treatment and what sound tables are most effective for.
- Learn the basics of using the VoiceBio system.
- Learn techniques for finding the frequencies of various organs in the body.
- Understand the harmonic structure of sound. Ability to make the sound of odd, even, pure and rich harmonic structures. Understand how the harmonic structure of sound is found throughout the universe.
- Know the different frequency ranges and archetypal frequencies for healing
The beginning of each class – Making Sound
Each class begins with each student making sound. The point of this exercise to begin to see everything as vibration including the sound or music you having going on inside you at every moment of the day. When you see everything as vibration you can then use vibration to change the music you have going on inside you. The exercise varies from week to week:
1. Make the sound of who you are – Each student makes the sound of who they think they are.
2. Make the sound of your day – Each student makes the sound of, or sings the ups and downs of their day.
3. Make the sound of a perfect day – Each student makes the sound of what a perfect day would be like.
Laws of Resonance
This class is about the core concept of Resonance that is the basis of all Sound Healing. We discuss the different types of resonances based on the laws of physics: Acoustic Resonance in spaces (Rooms, temples, the mouth and throat, chest cavity, head, organs, and instruments), Mechanical Resonance in materials (Wood, metal, bones, muscles, tendons, skin, blood, crystal bowls), and Etheric Resonance (Chakras, Auras and Etheric Bodies, Root/Soul Frequencies, Love, Appreciation, Joy, Divine Love, and Spirit). We explain and practice a technique for finding any resonant frequency.
Once you learn the basic law of resonance you can use this information to become a Resonant transmitter where you are not at the mercy of resonances around you.
Harmonic Structure of Sound
Most people don’t realize that just about every sound has multiple frequencies that are also present. Even though we might hear an “A” there might be as many as 30 other pitches also present in the one note. And these other pitches carry detailed information about your being (which can be accessed through voice analysis).
We go through all the aspects of harmonics that determine why one sound sounds different from another sound. We discuss the difference between activating Odd harmonics and calming Even harmonics, and what instrument sounds and vowels are more odd or even. We look and listen to Pure sounds (like the tuning fork) versus Rich sounds (Violin, Piano), and which are better for what situations. We also discuss how the volume and phase of harmonics affect a sound.
We then look at how the mathematical structure of harmonics correlate to the mathematical structure of the Universe: The distance between the planets in our Solar System, the weight of each vertebrae in our Spine, the distance of electron shells around the atom, the frequencies of our auras or etheric bodies, and the levels of energy/matter at the Quantum level. With this information we discuss how the harmonic spectrum in your voice resonates throughout the universe and other people and the responsibility that brings.
Concert Pitch and Tuning Systems
Many people in the field of sound healing are adamant about using sounds and music that are based on ancient tuning systems because these are based on nature and resonate through the whole universe, including our spines. A tuning system is about which frequency each of the notes within a 12-note octave tuned to. Before the 1700’s most cultures created tuning systems based on the harmonic structure of sound. Then in the 1700’s Bach introduced the Equal Tempered tuning system, which is not based on nature at all – and we’ve been screwed up every since. We discuss how to create a tuning system and look the ancient Just Intonation and Pythagorean Tuning systems.
We discuss and listen to the full range of frequencies (20 – 20,000 hertz), in order to learn the frequencies by name. We all know color by name, but not frequencies. We focus on specific archetypal frequencies for healing as reference points to get to know the whole range. We also find the particular frequency that your speech is centered.
Hierarchy of Vibration
Vibrations manifest as Pure Frequencies, Harmonics (combinations of Pure Frequencies), Music Intervals (combinations of Pure Frequencies and/or Harmonics), Music (including Rhythm and Flow), and Energy (Intention and Consciousness).
The goal of this class is to become aware of all the parts of the body (from cells to organs to morphogenetic fields) and how sound affects each part – including the resonant frequency of each part. Using a medically perfect 3D visual program, we explore each of the systems, including the organs, skeletal system, nervous system, digestive system, etc. We cover all of the lists and charts of the frequencies used for specific cells, organs, and parts of the body and do meditations on them. We also explore how to find these frequencies intuitively. We then explore the frequencies of the Endocrine system and the relationship of each endocrine gland to the chakras. Finally, we look at some of the new frequency technologies such as the QXCI, Nutri-Energetics, Zyto, and Asyra, which do frequency scans of the body giving you a medical readout. You will then get a frequency assessment with the Nutri-Energetics System.
Binaural Beats and Brainwave Entrainment
A binaural Beat is the third frequency that occurs when you have two frequencies that are detuned just a little bit from each other. If this third frequency (which is below the normal range of hearing) falls within the range of any of the brainwave states it will automatically entrain your brain into that brainwave state (Beta, Alpha, Theta, Delta). The science behind this is now quite well researched. If you also wear headphones the binaural beat will synchronize your left and right brain. Binaural beats can be used to entrain your brain into a specific EEG brain map – such as a high state of meditation. And, they can be used to take you out of your body, so specific care must always be taken.
We discuss how different rhythms also entrain the brain, and how the Schumann resonance (7.83 hertz), which is always present in our atmosphere also entrains every brain on the planet. We then create a sound project based on a student’s root/soul frequency where the binaural beats are tuned to the particular person’s metabolism. We discuss how binaural beats tuned to a person can be especially effective for sleep, ADD/ADHD, and brain injuries.
We also show how to create binaural beats that are in tune with the key of a song, as well as having the tempo of the song match the key of the song! We then create a holographic sound project where a person’s root frequency determines every component of the song: The key, the tempo, the breath in the music, and the binaural beats.
The Sound of Chakras
We discuss the all the different systems in various cultures that have assigned specific notes to each chakra. The rest of class is about finding the frequency and pitch of each chakra for yourself. First, we watch an amazing video on chakras, “The Illuminated Chakras.” to get in touch with the meaning of each chakra. We will then hook each student up to a tone generator and have you find the exact frequency of your own chakras (including your root frequency). Then, we have you do a second exercise to tune into the pitch of each chakra for yourself. Finally, we do a very powerful Chakra Meditation where we have you tune into all 7 chakras at the same time. The point of this class is to not only have you start tuning into chakras as frequency, but also to give you another reference point in your body for learning the full range of frequencies (20 – 20,000 hertz).
We explore the full range of sounds that the voice can make and the effects they have on a person physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. You will then learn a detailed procedure for using your voice to perform a healing session on another. You will learn how to prepare and center yourself for the session. You will also learn how to use the sound of your voice to do an assessment on the person, then connect to Spirit or Source and let the sounds come through you that the person needs. You will also learn and practice how to be aware of boundaries around the body so as not to take on the person’s energy and so not to invade their personal space internally.
Releasing Stuck Emotions
The goal of the class (in alignment with all the classes) is to see all of our emotions as frequency (sound or music). When we see our emotions as frequency, it allows us to see and feel them as they are, and then gives us a simple sound method for releasing or shifting the emotion. First, we explore the “sound” of the so-called negative emotions vs. the sound of positive emotions (which have a more consistent tone). The most difficult emotion of all is that of resistance to feeling emotions. However, on the other end of the evolutionary scale we ultimately want to get off the roller coaster of emotions. Not that we don’t still feel them, but “we are not them.” One technique is to make our primary focus be that of our own root frequency instead of the emotion – bringing us back to our own center.
We explain and practice multiple techniques for releasing the stuck emotion:
1. Making the sound of the emotion to release it.
2. Making the sound that our body wants to make.
3. Making a sound that transforms the emotion into a positive emotion.
4. Making a sound of a higher emotion to shift our energy.
Ultimately, the goal is to use our mind to stop the emotions from getting stuck in the first place. We will discuss these techniques. We end this part of the class with a meditation on the sound of Joy!
Finding Your Home Note
In this class we find each person’s Root/Soul frequency in multiple ways. We go into the Sound Therapy room and we have each person lay on the Sound Table while we play each of the 12 notes in the octave through the sound table. First, we do muscle testing on the person to see which frequency is strengthening them the most. Then we have them close their eyes and tune in to what note is the most grounding. And finally, we have the entire class tune in and focus on the person’s energy and breathing while they are listening to each of the 12 notes to see which note seems to be the most relaxing and grounding for them. Generally, the class normally comes to a clear consensus. This note shows how we all have a central signature frequency that resonates through our whole being, but it teaches you how to find it in yourself and in others.
We then will have a student look at an image of one of their organs in 3D and we do the same muscle testing while playing each of the 12 notes. This technique has been proven to help find the note that strengthens that particular organ.
Holding Frequency – Sounds for Challenges and Conflicts
This is one of the most profound and useful classes of the entire semester. We do exercises on how to use resonance to hold a state of peace and calm even you’re your world is shaking. We will use toning, the sound of gratitude, compassion and the sound of Universal Love to meet challenges and conflicts with health, wealth, relationships, world changes or simply noise around you (particularly hypersensitivity to noise and loud sounds). We will demonstrate and practice multiple techniques for holding frequency no matter what.
Sound of Nature
We take a look at the healing power of nature sounds. Sounds in the city tend to close our ears down. Nature sounds open us up (ears and heart). We listen to full range of nature sounds (including crickets, thunder and birds) slowed down to hear the hidden detail of what the sound is really doing to us. A whole other world unfolds when we slow some nature sounds down. We use the program “Raven” from Cornell University to slow down the sounds and to see a beautiful visual of the harmonic structure of the nature sound. We talk about the way dolphins and whales communicate. We end with a meditation on the healing power of nature sounds.
The basic concept of voice analysis is that every single thing going on in your system affects your muscles (basic kinesiology), and since your vocal chords are controlled by muscles, everything going on your system is projected through your voice. In fact, your entire template of perfection that you were born with, and all the distortions you have created in your life – are also transmitted through your voice whenever you open your mouth.
This class explores all of the different methods of using Voice Analysis to assess the state of a person physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually. We take a look at Sharry Edwards’ system, the Biosonics system from Spain, Don Estes’ Harmonic Resolution Therapy, Sound Energy, Biowaves, Zyto, and the VoiceBio. We then use the VoiceBio system to do an assessment for each student.
The creator of the VoiceBio system did years of research in hospitals doing VoiceBios on patients with a wide range of diseases and issues. She also ties weaknesses of frequencies to weaknesses in specific organs.
We also play with different essences while using the VoiceBio system to see what essences are boosting what frequencies in your system. The system can ultimately be used to see how the frequencies of colors, foods and other stimulus in your environment are affecting your own frequency spectrum.
Final Paper Presentations
Each student turns in and presents their final paper on a vibrational topic of their choice – anything remotely related to sound and vibrational healing. This is your opportunity to research something that we have not covered in class. The whole class gets to learn about other modalities that I may not have thought about or even know about. The paper is to be at least two pages long, and the live presentation could even include experiences or meditations.
Review for Final
We review all of the test questions (which are already in the Reader handed out on the first day of class), and we get feedback on how to make the classes better. You must also create a sound practice for yourself.
Instructors: David Gibson, Steven Halpern
The Sound of Love
A truly transformative workshop designed to open your heart. You will learn sound techniques for connecting with people from a heart center, creating more intimacy in relationships, and connecting to spiritual love.
In this unique 2 day workshop you will use sound to open up and access deeper levels of connecting through love. This workshop will open your heart to others and spirit (love from above or within). When you reside in your heart with one another a resonant field is setup that not only transforms your every communication, but also adds to a planetary resonant field that affects the entire planet.
- Identify the different frequencies of love.
- Demonstrate how to connect to universal love.
- Learn techniques for transforming negative beliefs with sound.
- Identify and demonstrate 3 techniques for loving yourself with sound.
- Identify how to use sound to deal with conflicts in relationships.
- Identify and sing the two main musical intervals used to express love.
- Identify the 5 main syllables used for love.
- Identify how love works at the six levels of vibration: Frequency, pitch, timbres, musical intervals, music and energy.
Instructors: David Gibson
Sound Healing Marketing
The course helps students to learn all the necessary skills to successfully run a Sound Healing practice. It covers over 100 detailed techniques on how to get your business up and running with very little money, how to attract clients and how to retain them. We also explain how to add Sound Healing to expand an existing practice.
Why you need marketing
The blocks people have around marketing
How to choose a niche market
How to create your marketing message
Instructor: Terry Silberstein
Inner Awareness and Transformation through Sound
Voice Healing and Boundaries
This class explains a detailed process for using the voice for healing on another person. First, you learn how to assess the body with your voice to find any issues. You then use your voice to breakup or harmonize any issues.
The class also covers a detailed way of understanding energetic boundaries between you and the person you are working on. This understanding and awareness makes it so you don’t invade the client’s space and so you are protected from taking on their energy or problems.
Class 1: All the sounds that the voice can make and what these sounds do on the body. A step-by-step process for doing a Voice Healing on the body. We pair up and then everyone does a voice healing on each other. Homework is to do a voice healing on 5 people (friends and family).
Class 2: Develop self management about one’s own boundary, work with energy and intention. Breath control and sounding exercises. Begin connection with someone else.
Class 3: Review boundary work and issues that occur with Sound Healing with another. Make and identify sounds and their uses. Develop intuitive skills.
Class 4: Use diagnostic process. Evaluate results. Sound Healing on others. Receive supervision and guidance during a session. Begin discussion about being a sound healer.
Class 5: . Practice diagnostic process. Give and Receive a sound healing. Receive supervision and guidance. Expand on what it is to be a sound healer. Ethics. Q & A to address issues that have arisen.
Instructors: David Gibson, Lisa Rafel
Voice and Body Awareness
These are teachings designed for experiencing the power of our voices to wake up the sleep of numbness and amnesia that impedes our knowing and accessing our innate wisdom. Our sounding, our voicing is a Wake Up tool for transpersonal transformation. One of the teachings of sound is to awaken our memory… memory of wisdom that we know is there.
We sound with our voice to dissolve the noise. The noise that goes on inside our heads and bodies. The noise that is in the way of Listening.
The accuracy of our sounding comes from our ability to Listen.
This will be an exploration of our sounding landscape and consciousness. Techniques to access a deeper awareness of our inner sound world.
These trainings are teaching about Self-care with our voices, learning how to Listen to our innate wisdom. Becoming willing to be teachable and trusting that our human form contains an inherent wisdom. And respecting that our body, our Being wants to communicate and awaken our ability to listen.
Vocabulary of Sounds
Introduction to Sound vocabulary, its practice and intentions. The teachings consist of learning basic sound vocabulary: the vowels, consonants and combinations. Students will become acquainted with this language and the applications of these sounds. I will be using the Hum throughout all our teachings as a foundational teaching.
Aston Kinetic Body Awareness
Introduction to principles of ground reaction force, support for our body. We will Learn and experience how to have physical support for our voice. How do we support our voice and the diversity of the geometries we sound? How to nourish our nervous systems. We will begin appreciating our 3-dimensional physical bodies and how that shapes our voice and sounding.
Re-framing sounding as not one of being able to sound the right note or frequency, but being able to listen. There will be listening exercises throughout all the trainings focusing on developing listening skills. Accuracy of sounding comes from our willingness to listen.
Body as Laboratory
Observing what is occurring when we sound. Does our pulse rate change? Does our weight shift at our feet? Includes before and after sound exercises, self-scanning of our bodies physically, mentally, and emotionally.
Instructor: Vickie Dodd
1 class online; 5 classes at the Institute
The use of sound as a personal tool for your own creative development. An exploration of your sound landscape and consciousness. Techniques to access a deeper awareness of your own inner sound world. Students express themselves sonically by exploring the relationship of sound to thought forms, feelings, and emotions. How to use your voice to heal and raise consciousness – your own and others.
- This class is designed to achieve profound inner awareness. Shadow work to illuminate the path of consciousness . Inducing healing and resiliency for personal growth and expanded awareness .
- Integrating a combination of sound, movement , stillness, different styles of meditation and shamanic energy work to process and transcend the Self.
- We explore ancient traditions for creating Portals of higher consciousness , with the practice of Inner Alchemy to strengthen the immune system and increase vitality activating the endocrine system.
- Breath work as an important component to tap into the deepest part of yourself, to transform and transmute your emotional wellbeing, accessing different states of consciousness.
- You can awaken the power of your healing voice and master ways to utilize your authentic resonance as a main tool for self-care and self-healing.
- In a safe neutral environment, we embrace the wounds as parts of ourselves to bath in love, light and compassion for self-healing.
A powerful experiential workshop that will bring you into the heart of sound.
– walk our journey releasing emotions
– activate the natural healing abilities of our bodies
– connect to our inner truth
– transmute at the cellular level and create a shift
– nurture our hearts and expand our consciousness
– clear buried feelings
Connect your divinity with the spirit in the body.
Experience freedom of expression through dance, creative visualization and
sound healing for our mental, emotional and physical health.
Besides singing Silvina uses Crystal bowls, chanting, mantras, music and light
– Understanding of your consciousness and including hidden beliefs in order focus on raising your own consciousness with sound – in order to be a better sound healer.
– Demonstrate how to access the color, sound and shape of a stuck emotion in order to release it.
– Identify all the endocrine glands.
– Develop an understanding of your own shadow side and how to work with it with sound.
– How to do a healing session on others with voice and sound healing instruments.
Instructor: Silvina Vergara
Instruments, Treatments and Music
Inner Music Theory
This class covers the fundamentals and basic elements that comprise music theory and sound vibration, with an emphasis on how they affect human beings on all levels. Musical elements include basic approaches to frequency, pitch, timbre, intervals, harmonic structures, duration, rhythm, speed, and volume. The course uses creative music and sound examples, as well as techniques to help students acquire a deeper understanding of the nuances of musical and sound elements across various geographical, historical, and musical traditions and genres. The Overtone Series (also referred to as the Harmonic Series) is the basis for the exploration of the underlying meaning construction of musical intervals, harmonic structures, and the compositional creativity for healing and therapeutic purposes.
A musical interval is the relationship of any two things in the Universe — whether two plants, two planets, two crystals or two Souls, for example. Theoretically speaking, the understanding of musical intervals is helpful for combining a set of two or more pitches using the voice and various instruments, including the piano/keyboard, and a wide variety of Western and non-Western instruments such as crystal bowls, Tibetan bowls, shruti boxes, tuning forks, or a combination of any one of these. Intervals are used melodically and harmonically, to include simple melodies, harmonies, as well as more complex structures.
With a basic grounding in the terminology and mechanics of music, the class will explore how to apply emerging knowledge and ideas in Psychoacoustics to actual pieces of music and live healing practices, providing the application and association of these concepts to developing healing music, in a safe place to explore the various modalities of psychoacoustics through active listening and creative projects.
Harmonic Series/Overtone Series, Intervals, and Timbre/Tone Color-Quality
Rhythm, Groove, and Pulse vs. Soundscapes
Toning, Seed Syllables, Mantra
Pitched and un-pitched vocalizations
Live flow of a healing session
Resonance of relationship
Additionally, this course will emphasize the development of the student’s abilities of discernment around the inner experience of sound. This ability is key to understanding the nature of the effects of different modalities of healing and styles of music. It also provides the foundation for a truly meaningful exchange between the healer and the client- the very basis for that conversation is an ability to understand how these tools affect us- how sound and music affect our consciousness and our bodies.
Define the applicable vocabulary and terminology for inner Music Theory
Identify the keys on the piano keyboard
Explore the ascending and descending movement of pitches using the keyboard
Tell the difference between Whole steps & and half steps
Name the enharmonic pitches of both the black and white keys
Define and identify tetrachords
Construct a major scale using half and whole steps
Name the places where half and whole steps are place in the major
Name the scale degrees of the major pentatonic scale
Identify the relationship between the major and minor pentatonic scale
Define the term Interval, and construct several examples
Match various intervals with their equivalent inner state.
Define the meaning of The Overtone series—The DNA of Sound
Identify the difference between Tempered vs. Just tuning
Name selected Frequency and their pitch equivalents.
Identify timbres as they relate to even and odd harmonics of the overtone series
Define and identify the perfect and imperfect intervals
Listen to and identify drones and the use of intervallic relationships
Clap various types of note durations using the hierarchy of note values
Considerations of the Relationship Between the Healer and Client
List various musical elements and considerations of healing caveats of what works, and doesn’t work.
Create various and instrumental combinations in relationship and group production of sound.
Review class materials through extensive listening, practical exercises, and in-depth analysis.
Instructor: Gerald Savage
Instruments and Treatments
Tuning Forks with Randy Masters
Tuning forks variations (weighted and unweighted, and different frequency systems) and a detailed process for using forks on and around the body.
Sound Healing Instruments and Designing Sound Healing Treatments and Sound Baths
We cover how to play and use the main sound healing instruments for healing and raising consciousness including tuning forks, crystal bowls, Tibetan bowls, gongs, drums, koshi chimes, and melodic instruments like the Freenote xylophone, the Sansula kalimba, and the Crystal Harp.
We cover how to choose instruments and design a Sound Healing treatment for a wide range of physical, mental and emotional issues.
Using information gathered from all of your classes, you learn how to design treatments. You learn about different “dynamic flows” for different issues in a sound healing session. We then go through the protocol for doing an intake with a client with a wide range of questions. This assignment helps you learn how to design a wide range of sound treatments for someone, and ultimately gives you an idea of what it would be like run a Healing Center, and do intake for clients.
We also discuss how to do such treatments over the phone, or through distance healing (simply transmitting energy to someone over long distances). David shares a map of what he commonly does in his sessions.
Students also learn how to design a Sound Bath Concert for a group. This includes “dynamic flows,” using intention and energy, using silence in a session. We show a map common sessions and talk about a wide range of possibilities including call and response, breathwork and working with multiple people in a session.
Sound Treatments for Specific Issues
We cover detailed treatment plans with sound for anxiety, depression, anger, grief, sleep, PTSD, addiction, pain, autism, schizophrenia, dementia and cancer — and how to approach each with sound, music and vibration.
Group Healing on One (Institute only)
We all perform a sound healing treatment on one person using all the instruments from the Sound Healing store. The person states what they would like to focus on. Everybody gets a turn. This is a good way to see all the different things that you can do in a sound healing session, and you get to experience some powerful healing sounds for yourself.
Sound Healing Treatments (Institute only)
At the Institute, each student pairs up with another student performs a treatment on the other student. Online, students must perform a treatment on friends or family (or other students) and write a paragraph about the treatment and results.
Sound Healing Treatments with Intake (Institute only)
After doing intake, and designing the sound treatment, each student performs a treatment on someone.
Sound Bath Concert Presentations (Institute only)
Each student performs a short concert for everyone in class.
Healing Modes (Online only)
David covers all of the possible ways to find a frequency or timbre in the body. Then, all the possible ways to work with a frequency or timbre. One approach is to focus on what is wrong and break it up or transform it. The other approach is to focus on what is right and resonate it into its natural harmonic state of health. Students practice the different techniques in a healing session on David during class.
Laws of Vibration with Don Estes (Online only)
Don gives an unusually wide perspective on how sound, music and vibration work on the body for healing, higher consciousness, and manifestation.
Instructors: David Gibson Randy Masters, Don Estes
Voice, Toning, Chant and Mantra
This 6 class series begins with 3 sessions focused on vocal technique and nervous system regulation. We learn and practice highly effective techniques for our voice and our nervous systems through breath, toning, sensate awareness, range, musicianship, and methods for optimizing our overall health and wellbeing. We learn healthy and highly effective vocal production and an introduction to human physiology, posture, breathing, resonance, articulation, and vowel production, the physics of sound, and basics of acoustics and resonance as applied to the student’s own body and voice. The course will cover basic elements of vocal technique, including analysis of individual problems and corrective solutions. The student will work on specific skills using an array of exercises and then apply these skills to one piece of repertoire that will be practiced each week. The skills covered in this class can be applied to all styles of singing and support vocal longevity, flexibility, and health.
In the following 3 sessions we deepen into vocal explorations based in our purpose. We further develop our voices through highly effective and enjoyable warm ups and practices, learn mantra with reverence to cultural and historical context, explore finding our authentic voice, speaking and singing our truth, further develop subtle awareness and listening practices which are vitally important in the healing arts. We also learn animistic folksongs for ancestral healing, and sound healing through the voice.
Class 1 – Voice
The anatomy and mechanics of breath
Nervous system regulation pt 1
Vocal warm ups
Becoming the Vessel
Technique to unveil the voice and to cultivate pure tone
Healthy and effective technique for speaking and singing and chanting
Class 2 – Voice
Anatomy of the Voice
Deepening, strengthening and coordinating the breath
Vocal warm ups
Nervous System regulation pt 2
Becoming the vessel pt 2
Healthy and effective technique for speaking and singing and chanting pt 2
The medicinal use of the human voice in healing
Class 3 – Voice
Becoming the vessel pt 3
Vocal warm ups
Healthy and effective technique for speaking and singing and chanting pt 3
Opening the Voice
An overview on trauma therapy and stress relief through the voice
The voice as a unique, powerful tool for sound therapy
Class 4 – Voice Chant Mantra
Vocal warm ups and exercises to expand tone and musicality
Theory and development of subtle body sensate awareness
Becoming a vessel with QiGong
Learning 6 healing sounds in Taoism with movements
The purpose of singing in context of social bonds and community healing
Sound, speech and song therapies
Practices for healing the relationship ones voice and finding essential empowerment through sound.
Creating your purpose statement and sound sigil
Class 5 – Voice Chant Mantra
Visualization, Qi Gong, attention dynamics and increasing sensate abilities
Bringing the subconscious to the conscious
Unveiling our voice through toning with seed syllables
Vocal warm ups and exercises to expand tone and musicality
Introduction to Mantra
Unveiling our voice through toning with seed syllables
The art of Listening
Ancestral healing through through ancient songs
Exploring psychological and emotional landscape of the voice
Creating a ritualized practice
Ancestral Song Meditation
Creating your Healing Songs
Class 6 – Voice Chant Mantra
Visualization, Qi Gong, attention dynamics and increasing sensate abilities
Deepening Mantra practice
Toning and the practice of “Aum” and “Hu”
Sharing progress on ritualized practice
Introduction to Eastern “Maqam” for healing
Learning Maqam based devotional “Illahis”
The art of improvisation
Exploring psychological and emotional and physiological landscape of the voice
Discussion on vocal awareness
Review all Songs and Mantras
Presentation of purpose statement and sound sigil
Instructor: Sonja Drakulich
Toning, Chant and Mantra
When used with intention, our own voice can be a miraculous healing tool. It is a primordial pathway into our body and soul. In this workshop we will explore how sound vibrates our inner body, heals trauma and connects us to our natural state of health and creativity. With toning techniques, we will experience where sound resonates in the body and how to use that vibration to clear the energy centers, relax the body and release old outdated imprinting. We will learn healing chants from several traditions and feel the commonality and differences of rhythm, pulse and impact. Through improvisation and writing exercises we will discover how to create our own sacred chant. We will also learn how to apply toning, mantra and singing into daily spiritual practice as well as how to use these techniques as part of an overall sound healing session.
The main modality used is Suzanne Sterling’s body of work called Voice of Change (TM)
embodying ones own truth and creativity. It includes yoga, movement, science, ritual, singing and profound connection.
Learning Goals and Objectives
10. To learn methods for creating strong containers for healing and apply tools of sound healing and creativity within that container.
Class 1 Overview
Overview of toning and singing for meditation and health Experiential singing meditation and yoga practice
Class 2 Mantra and Truth
Experiential singing meditation and yoga practice
Class 3 Creativity
Experiential singing meditation and yoga practice
Class 4 Creating Container
Instructor: Suzanne Sterling
Toning, Chant and Mantra
Kirtan is a sacred sound healing practice. It comes from an East Indian tradition called Bhakti Yoga. It is a style of call and response chanting in the ancient language of Sanskrit. The language itself, the story the chants hold, the intention of the practitioner all lend themselves to the sound healing properties of kirtan.
When used with intention, our own voice can be a miraculous healing tool. It is a primordial pathway into our body and soul. In this workshop we will explore how sound vibrates our inner body. With toning techniques, we will experience where sound resonates and how to use that vibration to massage from the inside out, clearing the chakras, relaxing the body and releasing old outdated imprinting. We will learn chants from several ethnic traditions and feel the commonality and differences of rhythm and pulse. Through Vocal Meditation we will discover how to create our own sacred chant.
– Elements of Bhakti Yoga
1. What is Bhakti Yoga
2. Chanting is a Practice
3. History of Bhakti Yoga
4. Pranayama and Asana as supportive Practices to get the most out of the sacred sound. (Breathing and stretching postures)
a. 3 part Yogic Breath (important for ANY vocal sound healing
b. Sun Salutations (a yoga flow that touches briefly on all parts of the body)
– Silence and Meditation (sound leads to silence and inner reflection. What does sound reveal in the silence that follows
– Understanding devotion as an intention AND a result of kirtan chanting
– Deeper exploration of how the practice and experience of singing kirtan can lead to a healing of the heart, a release of emotion and an uplifting of the mind
– A meditation – What are you devoted to? It’s an individual discovery. This becomes the intention that fuels and gives direction to the kirtans we chant
– An introduction to the Sanskrit Language and its importance in receiving the full benefits of kirtan singing and Mantra repetition
– The meanings of the Sanskrit words we sing in kirtan, mostly the names of Dieties
– The understanding that chanting the names of the deities are a way of calling forth the greater parts of ourselves that the deities refer to.
– The meaning of the different deities : Shakti, Saraswati, Lakshmi, and their consorts, Shiva, Brahma & Vishnu, and their different incubations: Radha and Krishna, Sita and Ram, Paravati, And other deidites, Ganesha, Devi Ma, Hanuman
– The difference between KIRTAN and MANTRA
– What is Japa Mantra
– What is a Sanskrit kirtan and what is a Vedic Mantra?
– The study and practice of a longer mantra repetition, the GAYATRI MANTRA
– Indian understanding of TIME and TIMELESSNESS, and the ETERNAL that is accessed through chanting and mantra repetition
– An Introduction to the sacred sound aspects of Indian Music: Raga, Drone, Rhythm, Instruments
– The MUSIC of kirtan
Sound, Movement and Voice
2 classes online; 3 classes at the Institute
- Aah-The primary Sound
- Lecture on the physiological and psychological health benefits of singing
- The Energy Body: Using vocal vibration and movement to clear stuck energy
- Explore the voice and dance movement to locate, activate and clear the Chakras
- Work together to build a group dynamic
- Continuation of Chakra/Vocal/Movement/Rhythm practices
- Honoring earth, air, fire and water with the voice and body
- Lecture and experience the ancient global practice of Shaking Medicine
- Developing spiritual discernment and clearing your space with sound
- Connecting to Song Catching, nature and secrets to making your own mantra
- Continuation of Chakra/Vocal/Movement/Rhythm practices
- Experience and Explore the concepts of:
- Healing in Community
- Social synchrony and developing a sense of belonging in relation to sound and movement practices
- Students are encouraged to develop “sight” that can be utilized in their healing practices and begin to work in duos and prepare treatments for their partners
- Discuss shielding, establishing boundaries and integrity in your practice
Instructor: Lis Addison
Sound and Consciousness
Resonant Connections: Sound, Light, Color, Geometry, Chemistry, Physics, and Consciousness
An exploration of the connections between sound and healing from an esoteric perspective with an eye toward the current scientific research being conducted in this field. The understanding of the interconnectedness of the multidimensional levels of sound, vibration, music and consciousness.
I. Harmonics of Sound
II. Harmonies of Color and Light
III. Harmonics of Form
– Cymatics: Forms and Shapes create by sound. Geometry of Music – Music of Geometry
– How does music convey emotions? Music of the Golden Mean – Music of the Phi Ratio Universe.
– Relationships of Sound and Color. Sounds of our solar system.
– Survey of Ancient Musical Scales. Understanding acoustical foundations of harmony.
– Chakra systems and applied tuning forks.
– Chakra systems and applied tuning forks continued.
– World music rhythms and archetypes.
– The relationship of sacred geometry to musical intervals.
– Living in Unity Field Consciousness
Specific Lecture topics will be taken from the following list:
1) Music and Sound (for Music and healing Purposes)
– The naming of frequencies and notes
– The solfeggio system of sound syllables
– The East Indian Vocal Syllable System (Sargam)
– Just Tuned Musical Intervals
– Famous whole numbers tuning systems
– The math of Equal-tempered Tuning
– The advantages and disadvantaged of Equal-tempered 12 Tone Tuning and Cents Tuning
– The Harmonics of Special Prime Numbers
– The Prime Limit Just Toning System
– The Pure Pythagorean Tuning System
– The modal music system (Ancient and Modern)
– The world’s most common pentatonic scales.
– Modal Harmony for Sound Healing
– Musical examples of whole number tuning
– Music of the Fibonacci Series (also for sacred geometry)
– The basic rhythmic archetypes of world music
– Musical chakra systems
– The music of the weather spherics
– The sounds and frequencies of the Planets and moons (The work of Hans Cousto, Swiss Scientist, Kepler and others)
– The Angelic system of intervals and numerology for music healing analysis (Joel Andrews system from Harp Full of Star book)
– Music of the Hydrogen Element
– The Larmor Sound Frequencies of the periodic Table of Elements (universal sounds)
– Special frequencies found in Nature.
– Sacred numbers from ancient manuscripts and their musical valves.
– The musical Tree of Life Harmonics
– Key Sounds of Sacred Sites, (Stonehenge, The Great Pyramid site, Chartres Cathedral)
– The uses of Tuning Forks in sound therapy theory and Practice
– The use of Sacred Language vowels and phonetics for sound healing
– Selected books and articles, periodicals for further research.
– Select sound DVD’s, videos, CDs, recordings, structure, Texture, Color, Timbre, Rhythm,
– The Musical Spine
– The oriental 5-elements and sound
– The original Bible code solfeggio Healing codes
2) Harmonics of Color and Light
– Basic color Therapy-Light and pigment
– The wavelengths of the colors Nanometers and Angstroms
– Converting color and light to sound and vise versa.
– The Dinsha Ghadiali famous Light Therapy System, Spectro Chrome Therapy
– The Dinsha color system connected to sound
– The actual colors of the Rainbow Spectrum
– What various colors are used for in Healing/Therapy
– The colors of special essential oils
– The frequencies of famous Artist Colors
– Survey of color/chakras correlations
– The 7 color Ray Life system c/o Ginny Katz, book: Beyond the Light. (Beck)
– The Sacred Text numbers of the Rainbow (famous Gematria numbers and color associations)
– The colors associated with the Fire Platonic solids (see Geometry Pact III)
– Color/Sound Correlations of available L.E.D. Lights
– The Hydrogen Spectral Lines (colors of the prime element)
– The Esoteric Meanings of Colors
– The visible color spectrum
– The qualities of Violet Light
– The Hydrogen Molecule Red-Light-Green-Violet shift
– The Rainbow Angles (42%) primary rainbow
– Key colors of the Periodic Table of Elements
– Peter Mandel’s German Color Puncture
– The marriage of Sound and Light
3) Form and Sacred Geometry
– The “Roots” of Sacred Geometry
– What is sacred about Geometry
– Geometry and the Codes of Creation
– The Foundation math of Sacred Geometry, sq. roots of 2,3,5, pi, phi.
– Different values of pi (Historic)
– The Golden Mean and the Phi Ratio
– The Fibonacci Series in Nature and Art
– The Geometry of the Human Anatomy
– Sacred Geometry in Nature
– Other phi ratio whole-number series
– Geometry of Famous sacred sites (Parthenon and temples, Pyramids, Chartres Cathedral.
– Sacred Geometry of Washington D.C. and Reunes-Le Chateau, France
– Pythagorean Right Triangles in whole numbers. (Musical Correlations)
– A Musical micro-tonal scale based on sacred Geometry
– The Five Platonic Solids-the Geometry and Hidden meanings
– Whole-number square root ratios used in the ancient world
– Pi and spherical geometry (2-D, 3-D)
– Sacred Geometry and the Greek gods key sacred numbers of Greek Temples based on sacred geometry
– The Merkabah-Geometric Light Spirit Vehicles
– Using Geometric forms in Healing Arts.
– Cymatics-forms created with sound, the work of Hans Jenny and others
– Donald Duck in Mathmagic Land, Sacred Geometry in Disney World
– Intro to Vedic Geometry
– A beginners Guide to Constructing the Universe- Book by Michael Schneider
– Sacred Geometry in Crop Circles
– The Power of Limits (book by Gyorgy Doczi-) proportional Harmonies in Nature, Art and Architecture.
– ”Phiometry”- Phi ratio geometry
– The Sri Yantra- The Form of OM, the Sound of OM- Geometric Power, Diagrams=Yantras
– The Lost science of Measuring the Earth- book by Robin Heath and John Michell
– Robert Lawlor’s book “Sacred Geometry”
– Matrix of Creation book by Richard Heats (Sacred Geometry in the Realm of the Planets).
– Book of Coincidence-by John Martineau (Solar system geometry)
Instructor: Randy Masters
Sacred Geometry – Harmonics of Space
1 — Introduction & Overview Mystery School approach to Sacred Geometry – Pythagoras & Plato
• What “Sacred” Geometry is and what it does to create our material universe
• Nature’s “language of relationship”
• Recognize Patterns within forms – developing astute observation skills
• Connections between geometry in spatial and sonic relationships
2 — Symbolic Language
• Re-discover geometry as a “Symbolic Language”
• Interpreting Symbolism of Geometrical Shapes & Symmetry Patterns
• Discovering Universal Patterns within the “Flower of Creation” cosmological mandala
• Geometry as Story Teller
• Symbolic Meaning of architectural proportions (e.g., Chartres Cathedral)
3 – Musical Harmonics
• What is the nature and physics of resonance
• Understanding musical harmonics by seeing geometrical ratios
• Subdivision of spaces by whole numbers or “musical harmonics”
4 — Laws of Harmony
• Root Harmonies – the building blocks of the material world & classical art
• Pythagorean Theorem – visual non-mathematical approach – the way Pythagoras taught it
• Constructing & Understanding the relationships in the Root Rectangles
• Recognize Root Rectangles in your surroundings
• Harmonious subdivisions of root rectangles – how the parent divides itself into recognizable offspring – creating a tuned symphony of sub-spaces
5 — Golden Ratio in Nature, Golden Rule & Self-referential Consciousness
• Golden Ratio in growth of plants, animals and humans
• Essence of the “Golden Ratio” as philosophical symbol and geometrical ratio – relationship to human skeleton, DNA, and the “Golden Rule”
• Visual, less-mathematical way to understand the golden ratio
• Natural beauty, love and reciprocity – experiments with perception of beauty
• Harmonious subdivision or replication of golden ratio – the golden spiral
Instructor: Richard Feather Anderson